5 Tips to Switch Off This Winter
Written by Kamina Nagel, Life Coach at The Glow Seeker.
Winter is coming! But instead of mourning summer and counting down the seconds to your next beach day, let’s celebrate the cooler months by slowing down, being more present and shifting focus on yourself.
Here are some of my tried and tested tips to help you truly switch off this winter:
1. Brew a new tea – one of the best things about cooler weather is discovering new teas. There’s nothing quite like that first sip of tea on a cold morning, and I find that my body craves that warmth a lot more than it does my daily green juice. Madame Flavour has a beautiful range to explore – my favourite morning brew is Romantic White with Rose and their Cheerful Raspberry and Hibiscus Tisane!
2. Wake up later – humans may not hibernate, but it definitely gets harder to wake up early during in the colder months of the year. Our sleep patterns are regulated by light, which helps us wake up as it suppresses the production of melatonin (the hormone that makes us feel sleepy). So it’s no surprise that getting up in the morning on a cold winter morning can feel impossible! Listen to your body this winter and gift it an extra hour of sleep in the morning. If you normally work out in the AM, try creating a new winter routine by hitting your yoga mat after work instead of before.
3. Learn to meditate – there’s no better time than now to begin your meditation practice. With all the summer parties and festivities behind us, make the most of your time at home by switching off in purest way possible. All you need is a pillow or meditation stool, a timer and a quite space. I like to meditate on my breath by simply focusing on the sensation of air entering and leaving my body, gently bringing my attention back to it whenever my mind wanders. However there are so many amazing meditation styles to explore, so find what’s right for you! Start with 5 minutes a day, and once you feel pulled to meditate for longer (it will happen sooner than you think!) move up to 10, then 15, then 20…
4. Create space in your week – almost every time I ask someone, “How are you?” this is the answer I get: “Busy”. Busy-ness has become the norm, with people working longer hours and feeling more stressed out than ever before. Consciously shift your mind away from feeling ‘busy’ this winter by dedicating sacred time to yourself. Block it out in your diary if you have to! Use that time to do what makes you feel relaxed and spacious, whether it’s taking a long bubble bath, journaling, cuddling up to a good book or trying out a new recipe. It’s a self-love practice that will do wonders for your wellbeing.
5. Literally switch it off – if summer’s all about being social, let’s make winter all about more the intimate connections in our lives. There’s nothing more distracting when you’re hanging out with your bestie or partner than a constant steam of alerts on your smart phone. Challenge yourself to turn OFF your phone when you’re with the people you love, even if it’s just for an hour at a time. The rest of the world can wait.
Which tip are you going to try out this winter? How do you like to switch off and take time for yourself? Let us know in the comments below!