Cranberry & Walnut Granola By Lee Holmes
When Lee was diagnosed with an autoimmune condition in 2006 she went on a mission to reclaim her health. With a background in food and nutrition, she decided to follow her own path to healing and researched food and nutrition and developed a diet regime that led to full recovery!
She believes that just by eating well and changing your current lifestyle you can look forward to not only having boundless energy and a strong immune system, you will also be optimizing your health, preventing disease and increasing longevity!
She is now an Author, Holistic health/wellness coach and wholefoods chef and we are lucky enough to have her share her delicious healthy recipe below!
Cranberry and Walnut Granola
- 300 g (1 1/2 cups) quinoa or brown rice flakes
- 1 x 75 gm packet Brookfarm Brothers Blend nuts
- 90 g (3/4 cup) chopped walnuts
- 75 g (1/2 cup) dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons almond flakes
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 30 ml -(1/8 cup) Artisana coconut butter
- 30 ml (1/8 cup) Cocolife Virgin Coconut Oil
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) rice malt syrup, or use natvia natural sweetner sachets to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 15 g (1/4 cup) coconut flakes
- almond milk, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine the quinoa, nuts, walnuts, cranberries, sunflower seeds, pepitas, almond flakes, flaxseeds, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Place the Artisana coconut butter and Cocolife Virgin Coconut Oil in a saucepan over medium heat and heat until it has melted. Add the rice malt syrup or Natvia and vanilla and stir for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and stir well, ensuring the dry ingredients are coated thoroughly.
- Transfer the granola to the baking tray in a single layer, then cook in the oven for 20 minutes, stirring frequently and breaking up any clumps that form.
- Remove from the oven, add the coconut flakes, and bake for a further 5 minutes.
Remove from the oven and cool.
- To serve, place in a bowl and top with almond milk. It also tastes great on its own. This granola keeps for 4 weeks in an airtight container in a cool dry place.