Gluten Free Choc Walnut Brownies with Salted Caramel Whip
The brownies are gluten, refined sugar, and dairy free brownies and are so incredibly moist and dense. They freeze really well too, so they are perfect for premade wholesome snacks or lunch box fillers.
- 1 medium raw orange sweet potato, peeled and grated finely (about 2 1/2 cups of grated sweet potato)
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, or preferred sweetener
- 1/2 cup of virgin coconut oil
- 1 heaped tsp of aluminium free baking powder
- ½ cup of raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour- no more! A little goes a LONG way!
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Optional Salted Caramel Whip
- 2/3 cup cashew butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch pink salt, or to taste
- splash water, if needed to a thick caramel consistency
Preheat oven to 170C
Add vanilla, rice malt and coconut oil to a large mixing bowl over a pot of hot water and melt together. Take off the heat and cool slightly, then add sweet potato and eggs and mix well.
Now add the dry ingredients, combining well.
Pour the mixture into a cake or muffin tray, greased with a little coconut oil. Sprinkle with nuts.
Bake for 15-20 minutes. Check with a skewer- unlike a cake which will come out clean, the centre should still be ever so slightly gooey so it stays moist. Remove and cool for 5-10 minutes before carefully turning out onto a cooling rack.
To make the caramel add all ingredients to a small food processor or blender, and process until a smooth caramel consistency forms. If it’s too thick or seizes add a little water.
If you want to pipe the caramel on, ensure you make a thick consistency, place in a piping bag and into the fridge to firm up, otherwise add dollops to each brownie and top with a walnut.
This recipe was created by Kira Westwick for the February 2016 GoodnessMe Box edition.
For more wholefood sweets recipes, download our FREE Wholefood Sweet Treats Recipe e-Book here.