Sam Wood's Top 10 Health Tips
At the GMB HQ, we have been so inspired by Sam Wood and his approach to health. He truly believes that health starts at home, cooking and food is a huge part of Sam and his families life. He prides himself on eating real food whenever he can, while also keeping it real. Find out more about Sam in his Q&A.
1. What was the driver behind your new app 28?
After being a trainer for 17 years and having developed some incredible relationships and seeing my clients achieve such wonderful results, I felt that I needed to find a way to help more people. The app makes this possible.
2. What started you on your health and fitness journey?
I started training not to lose weight but to gain it. As a skinny kid it was something I was very conscious of and when I started to gain that confidence I understood just what is possible with a strong mindset and how important it is to take care of your body.
3. Did you always have a passion for helping people be their best self?
I wouldn’t say always. It was something that I fell in love with when first starting out as a personal trainer and seeing the look on a clients face when they reached their goal.
4. What are your 5 biggest tips to help us all make REAL change to our health & lifestyles?
Move every day
Eat real food
Drink lots of water
Try and get 7 hours of sleep a night
Laugh often and spend quality time with friends and family
5. What are your 5 biggest tips when it comes to ensuring your whole family is happy and healthy?
Lead by example
Don’t take it too seriously
6. How do you and Snez keep active and healthy while running a business and looking after your two daughters?
I’m not going to lie, it is challenging. It all starts with setting realistic expectations and adopting an attitude of progress, not perfection. We try and move in some way for half an hour, every day. We eat well (most of the time) and most of all, support each other.
7. What are the most common obstacles you find people face when trying to change to a healthy lifestyle?
Lack of time, not knowing exactly what to do and lack of motivation.
8. Do you think stepping out of our comfort zone and facing our fears is critical to achieve our goals, if so why?
In short, yes I do. Getting out of our comfort zone is where we discover what we are truly capable of.
9. What are your top five non-negotiable habits to keep you on track?
I move every day. Whether this is a training session at The Woodshed or a walk with Willow in the baby carrier, I make it happen.
I eat real food in moderation (most of the time).
Switching tech off at a reasonable hour to try and get 7 hours of sleep a night
Spend as much time with my family as possible.
10. We love how the app offers meditation and yoga. What do you do to take care of your mental health?
For me personally, my daily walk with my lab Hendrix and Willow in the baby carrier is extremely therapeutic. It gives me a chance to switch off and clear my head.
11. What is your favourite quote that makes you feel most empowered?
Success is 1% luck 99% hard work.