A different - and delicious - way to get some veg in. The Honest Sea nori used for these (and all edible seaweed for that matter) is rich in iodine, which is good for thyroid health.
- 4 x Honest Sea nori sheets
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups cooked (medium grain) brown rice
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 avocado sliced
- Pickled red cabbage
- 200g cooked tofu
- 200g cooked salmon
- ½ cup mashed sweet potato
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- Tamari soy sauce, to serve
Quick pickled cabbage:
- ¼ red cabbage, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
Massage cabbage with vinegar and maple syrup - it should slightly wilt. Refrigerate.
Salmon & tofu
- 1 x 200g salmon fillet
- 1 x 200g block firm tofu, sliced
- Sea salt and pepper
- coconut oil
- Season both salmon and tofu with salt and pepper.
- Over a medium heat cook salmon in a little coconut until cooked.
- Over a medium heat cook tofu in a little coconut oil. Flipping half way.
Combine cooked quinoa and brown rice with rice vinegar in a bowl.
- Place a sushi mat on the table, place the nori sheet on top with the shiny side down.
- Wet your hands (keep a small bowl of water handy to wet your hands) and grab a handful of quinoa rice mixture.
- Place it in the middle of the sheet and using your hands form it into a compacted square (about 9 cm x by 9 cm) rotated 45° in relation to the nori sheet.
- Place remaining ingredients on top. (eg. tofu, pickled cabbage, avocado. Salmon, avocado, spinach, pickled cabbage. Avocado, pickled cabbage, sweet potato).
- Now cover all the ingredients with another layer of compacted quinoa rice mixture.
- To do this: create that top layer of quinoa rice on a piece of aluminium foil, put this rice layer on the top of the stack and then peel the foil off at the end.
- Once you are done with your stack, seal all four corners of the nori sheet on top of the filling. Fold the right corner over the stack, wet the end of the nori sheet with a wet finger and fold the left corner over the stack and ‘glue’ it to the right corner. Repeat the same thing with bottom and top corners until you get a small packet.
- Finally gather all the cling film over the stack and tightly fold. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before cutting in half with a sharp knife. Enjoy!